When replacing, have you considered a ceiling mounted garage door opener? One of the essential tools to keeping your home safe, functional, and convenient is a robust and sturdy garage door opener. This might be something that hasn’t been on your radar because, generally, garage door openers are already installed by the time you move in. However, it sometimes becomes necessary to shop for a new opener, either because yours breaks down or you’d like to upgrade to one with more modern, high-tech features.
In general, garage door openers aren’t too expensive. Still, you’ll want to purchase one that has the power and longevity to be a worthy investment.
This article will talk specifically about ceiling-mounted garage door openers. We’ll discuss five of our favorite models for 2021, what we like about them and what we don’t like about them.
1) Chamberlain Bright LED Garage Door Opener
Coming in at number one is the Chamberlain Bright LED Garage Door Opener (model #B1381). This high-quality and high-powered system comes with many added features, including wi-fi connectivity, a powerful LED light, and smartphone capabilities through the myQ app.
- Powerful (equivalent to 1 ¼ hp)
- Wi-fi capable
- Tons of added features
- Three wireless remotes with a 1500-foot opening range
- Motion detecting lights
- Can use your smartphone to open, close, and check your door’s status from anywhere
- Requires a wi-fi connection
- Features take time to set up and customize
- As with anything high-tech, problems that arise may not be easily solvable
2) Sommer Direct Drive Garage Door Opener (1042V001)
Sommer’s Direct Drive Garage Door Opener (model # 1042V001) is advertised as vibration-free, making it ideal for garages attached to your home. Unlike other garage door openers on the market today, the Direct Drive doesn’t use noisy chains, belts, or screws. Instead, it utilizes a motor that travels silently along a sturdy steel rail that results in almost silent stops and starts.
- Unprecedented lifetime warranty
- Independently cycle tested for up to 100,000 opens and closes
- Powerful (equivalent to ¾ hp)
- Extremely quiet
- Many users complain about slow-moving doors
- Not Wi-fi or Bluetooth compatible
- Small and difficult to press buttons on remotes and keypad
3.) Genie SilentMax 1200 Garage Door Opener
Genie is another well-known brand with a plethora of garage door opener options. The SilentMax 1200 is one of their most popular and our favorite of their line. Due to Genie’s dedication to safety and security, this opener has some of the best security features on the market. These features include their patented Safe-T beam system, infrared auto-reverse technology, and a rolling access code that changes after every use to keep you protected.
- Enhanced safety features
- Powerful (equivalent to 1hp)
- Ultra-quiet; uses soft stop and start feature to reduce noise
- Comes with a limited lifetime motor and gearbox warranty
- Includes three pre-programmed remotes, a wireless keypad, and a high-functioning wall console
- Smaller-than-advertised remote range
- Some users complain of reliability issues
4.) Decko Garage Door Opener (24300/24503)
Decko makes two fantastic affordable garage door opener options, one that is chain-driven (24300) and the other that is belt-driven (24503). They design the motor to be quiet, reliable, and adaptable to extreme heat and cold. A great option for doors up to 7 feet tall and as wide as 18 feet comes with a lifetime limited motor warranty and a one-year warranty on parts.
- Comparably inexpensive
- Powerful enough for most doors (equivalent to ¾ hp)
- Comes with a warranty
- Relatively small remote range (around 750 feet, but some users report less)
- Though touted as being made for extreme temperatures, it may not perform the best in extreme cold
5.) BeamUp Workhorse BU100 Garage Door Opener
The BeamUp Workhorse BU100 Garage Door Opener is another excellent option for people looking for a solid, well-performing opener on a budget. Though it doesn’t have as many bells and whistles as some of the other openers on this list, you’ll find it’s perfectly functional for almost any garage door.
- Comparably inexpensive
- Connects to Alexa, Apple Watch, and more
- Quiet, smooth, and powerful lifting system
- You’ll receive the opener, one wireless keypad, and one wireless opener to keep in your car in the base level package.
- Extension kits are available separately.
Need help deciding?
We know that choosing a garage door opener without professional insight can be stressful, even with the help of Google research. Our friendly and professional customer service reps would be happy to go over options and help you pick the perfect garage door openers for your home! Contact Door Tech today!